The curator will be responsible for assembling, cataloguing, managing and presenting/displaying artistic and cultural collections at Ndere cultural centre.
The curator will develop ways in which objects, archives and artworks can be interpreted, through exhibitions, publications, events and audio-visual presentations.
The curator will be responsible for buying exhibits, organising exhibitions, arranging restoration of artefacts, identifying and recording items, organising loans and dealing with enquiries.
Other typical responsibilities of curator include:
- developing and organising new collections to expand and improve educational and research facilities
- extensively researching, negotiating prices on and buying items such as sculptures, statues and paintings that can add value to the collection
- maintaining records and cataloguing acquisitions
- researching, compiling and preparing written information about catalogues and publishing it on the institution’s website
- collaborating with other institutions
- ensuring that collections are properly preserved
- raising funds and grants
- interviewing, hiring and training staff and managing volunteers.
Qualifications and training required
This position is open to graduates of all disciplines, but particularly relevant subjects include:
- art history
- arts administration
- event/exhibition management
Key skills for curators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organise, present and communicate messages effectively through design
- Excellent project management and organisational skills
- Knowledge of fundraising for cultural projects
- Knowledge of working with museum databases and IT issues
- Good teamworking skills
- Excellent research and IT skills.
Interested candidates should send their resumes and cover letters to email@example.com before 20th July 2022